Jamaican Plantain Oats Porridge is one of my favorite porridge. It is creamy and oh so rich in taste…yum! Growing up in Jamaica, porridge was the ideal breakfast whether on busy school mornings or relaxed weekends. My mother and mostly grandmother made either plantain, plantain oats, banana, banana oats, oatmeal, cornmeal, semolina or hominy corn porridge just to name a few…lol! I sure followed the tradition of making porridge for my daughters and yes they love porridge too. So glad!
The traditional way to make Jamaican Plantain Oats Porridge is on the stove top. However, I pulled out something new – my multi-cooker! I’m all about that set and forget it life in the kitchen with my busy toddler, virtual school 5th grader and work at home life. This recipe is fitting for busy mornings where you can still make a good meal for you and your family despite your schedule.
Let’s gather the ingredients and let’s get cooking!
- 1 green plantain
- 2 cups oats (quick 1 minute or steel cut)
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
You do not need a multicooker to make this recipe. Use same method with a boiling pot on the stove top.
Ready to jump right in? Let’s get cooking!
1.Peel, wash and slice the green plantains into about 1 inch size.
2. Add items to blender: water, evaporated milk, plantain, oats, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, salt. Blend until smooth for about 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Pour the blended mixture to the insta pot cooker. Close lid, press power, select oatmeal and let it cook. Must stir with a whisk occasionally for smooth consistency.
4. Reselect oatmeal when pot beeps. Add coconut milk, stir, close lid and let it cook.
5. In last 5 minutes of cooking, add vanilla extract and condense milk, stir. Check the consistency of porridge, if it is too thick, you can add about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water or evaporated milk (your choice) to porridge.
6. Pour into bowl and Enjoy!
Jamaican Plantain Oats Porridge is filling it can be served alone.
But for us Jamaicans we prefer to add a slice of bread or two on the side or some crackers.
Hope you enjoy this recipe! Checkout my other budget friendly and Jamaican recipes .
Share your feedback below and tag me on Instagram with your bowl of porridge!
One Love, Mommi Roxi