Jamaican Curry Chicken Recipe
Being a Caribbean girl from the beautiful island of Jamaica it is not a surprise that I love Jamaican food and curry chicken is one of my favorite Jamaican dish that I can actually cook. Even though my husband is the real Jamaican chef around here and I specialize in quick and easy meals for families. Let me tell you. I got this one down! Excuse me while I toot my horn here (beep, beep) since my family and friends always request my delicious curry chicken made with love and spice. My authentic Jamaican curry chicken recipe will not only have your tummy dancing but your whole family will be doing the Jamaican dance like Usain Bolt!
The key to making Jamaican Curry Chicken is using Jamaican Curry Powder. There is a different taste to the Jamaican curry compared to curry powders from other countries, so it is important to use this key ingredient. You can easily stock up on the real Jamaican curry powder at Amazon. I do recommend using either Blue Mountain Curry Powder or the BetaPac Curry Powder. See the links below!
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time
15 minutes 45 minutes 60 minutes
- 4 Chicken Leg quarters, (chopped in small pieces)
- Lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp Jamaican Curry Powder
- 2 Spring Fresh Thyme
- Pinch of Ginger Powder
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 2 Clove Garlic, minced
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 5 All Spice Berries (crushed)
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper (chopped)
- 2 Stalks Scallion (chopped)
- 1 White Onion (chopped)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and chopped into medium pieces
- 2 Small Potatoes (peeled and chopped into large pieces)
- 1 Tbsp Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups Water
THE PREP PROCESS
- Cut chicken in small pieces, then wash with water and lemon juice and drain well.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken with curry powder, ginger powder, onion, scallion, garlic, bell pepper, all spice, scotch bonnet pepper (add based on desired heat level), thyme, salt and black pepper. Then rub well to get the seasonings covering the chicken.
- TIP: Set aside onion, scallion, thyme, salt and black pepper for second seasoning while cooking.
- Place seasoned chicken in the refrigerator and let it marinate overnight.
Jamaican food is so delicious because of the marinating process. When you leave the meat in the refrigerator overnight it brings out a ball of delicious flavors. However, you can leave to the meat to marinate for 30 minutes to an hour and my recipe will still come out nice and delicious.
LET’S GET TO COOKING
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a dutch oven.
- Remove seasonings from the chicken, then add chicken to the heated oil.
- Stir, then leave chicken to brown for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Combine all the seasoning from the marinade to the chicken, stir, then let it cook to breakdown the flavors.
- After about 5 minutes you can add the water and let it cook covered for another 25 minutes over reduced flame. You will need to stir occasionally and add small amounts of water when the sauce starts to reduce.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and the second set of seasoning. Then adjust salt and pepper level as needed.
- Cover pot and cook for the last 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened to desired level.
- Serve hot with steamed jasmine or basmati rice and sweet plantains. Enjoy!
Share your comments below and your pictures with us!
Be sure to follow and tag me on Instagram @Consultwithr.ox.i for @Mommination
Until next time! Happy Cooking!
AmandaMay 23, 2020 8:07 pm
girl!!!! We LOOOOVE this recipe!!!! Thank you, thank you!!!!!!