In my opinion, a bowl of Shrimp and Grits is comfort food at its best. Creamy, cheesy grits, topped with the most delicious spicy shrimp, and can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner is always a winner! This spicy shrimp and grits is my go to comfort meal to bring the taste of the South to my dinner table! Mommies, your family will want to grab a fork and dig right on in!
2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
2 Cups Whole Milk or milk of choice
1 Cup Grits
3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
2 Cups Sharp White Cheddar (shredded)
1/2 lb Thick Cut Bacon
2 lbs Jumbo Shrimp (peeled & deveined)
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (or to taste)
2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
1⁄4 Yellow Onion (diced)
1 Lemon (juiced)
Fresh Cracked Pepper
1 Jalapeño (diced)
1. Chop parsley, dice onion, mince garlic, slice jalapeño, juice 1⁄2 a lemon. Set aside each item in separate small bowls.
2. Shred cheese. Set aside in a small bowl.
3. In a large cast iron skillet, fry the bacon over medium-high heat. When crisp, remove the bacon and place on a paper towel lined plate. Once cooked chop and set aside.
4. In a medium pot add 2 cups milk & 2 cups chicken broth. Bring to boil over a medium heat.
5. Add peeled, deveined shrimp to a medium bowl and season with All-Purpose Seasoning (or seasoning of choice), 1⁄2 tsp red pepper flakes, 1⁄4 onion diced, and sliced jalapeño. Toss to combine and set aside. * (Heat level is totally customizable to your preferences).
6. Once the medium pot is boiling, add 1 cup grits, 1 tsp kosher salt, & 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper whisk well. Reduce heat to low and cook until liquid is absorbed, 10-15 minutes.
7. Remove medium pot from heat and stir in butter, cheese and more pepper to taste. Cover until ready to serve.
8. In the same cast iron skillet, add shrimp to the bacon grease and sauté on a medium heat for about 3 minutes.
9. Turn off heat and add minced garlic, stirring for about 1 minute. The residual heat from the skillet will cook the garlic. The shrimp will be opaque and gently curl. Stir in lemon juice and parsley.
10.Serve grits in a bowl, top with shrimp and bacon. Garnish with parsley.
Shrimp and grits is best served fresh. You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for you to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through. Add a scant amount of water to the grits to thin out as needed.
If spicy foods are your jam, be sure to try more of our fabulous recipes here.
Wishing you a happy plate,